Christ Church Grosse Pointe Christ Church Grosse Pointe
Click above images to enlarge

Christ Church Chapel Complex
61 Grosse Pointe Boulevard, Grosse Pointe Farms - Wayne County
Other Names Christ Church Grosse Pointe
Christ Episcopal Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Late Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue
Corrick Brothers
H. H. Micou
Minoru Yamasaki
Walter Dole
Narrative Description Christ Church Grosse Pointe is a Neo-Gothic ecclesiastical structure comprised of the church proper with an attached two-story office/instructional wing and a cloister now enclosed. In plan, the church is a Latin cross with a fifty-foot-high tower at its northeast corner. It was faced with sandstone selected because of its iridescence in sunlight. The pitched roof with cross gables over the transepts are covered with graduated slate with copper ridges and a copper spire. Stained glass windows by Willet & Sons of Philadelphia, DeRaniere Studios of Detroit and Detroit Stained Glass Co. add to the medieval character of the building, as do the wood truss roof, wooden carving, and flagstone floors of the sanctuary. Ancillary buildings to the rear of the church are situated around the perimeter of the parking lot: they are the International style Education Building of brick, glass and steel; Miller Hall, of stucco and half timbering; and the Rectory, of stucco, brick and stone; the latter two in the Tudor Revival style. All of the church's facilities are in excellent condition and mostly unaltered.
Statement of Significance Christ Church Grosse Pointe (Episcopal), has historical significance as the oldest Episcopal congregation in Grosse Pointe Farms. It has architectural significance as an outstanding example of Neo-Gothic ecclesiastical architecture designed by the New York firm of Mayers, Murray and Phillip, associates of the distinguished architect Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue. Although it was originally designed to be the chapel to a much larger edifice, Christ Church Grosse Pointe as completed in 1930 stands as an architectural treasure in its own right. High architectural and artistic values were integrated into the church's design; stained glass by H. L. Willet, DeRaniere Studios of Detroit, and Detroit Stained Glass Co. and the fine wood carving of the reredos by Mowbray & Co., Ltd. of London and the rood beam and other furnishings by J. Jungwirth Co. and Pom-McFate Co. of Detroit exemplify this striving towards harmony of Arts and Crafts architecture. Miller Hall (1941) and the rectory (1938) harmonize with the church edifice through their English Cottage and Neo-Tudor styles. The Education Building (1955), was designed to complement the work of the internationally known architect Minoru Yamasaki.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1928-1955
Registry Type(s) 09/10/1993 National Register listed
09/24/1992 State Register listed
Site ID# P25454