St. Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex, photos submitted 1992 St. Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex, photos submitted 1992 St. Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex, photos submitted 1992 St. Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex, photos submitted 1992 St. Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex, photos submitted 1992 St. Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex, photos submitted 1992
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex
157Lake Shore Road, Grosse Pointe Farms - Wayne County
Property Type religious complex
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Gothic Revival
Tudor Revival
Architect/Builder Franz Mayer and Company
Fredericks and Wolfram Art Glass Company
Harry J. Rill
Smith, Hinchman and Grylls
Narrative Description The Saint Paul Roman Catholic Church Complex includes: a French Gothic style brick and stone church; an attached, brick, Neo-Tudor rectory; a Colonial Revival parish hall, a Neo-Tudor school building; and an Elizabethan Revival convent building. The complex stands on a deep, narrow site extending between Lake Shore Road and Grosse Pointe Boulevard. The church was designed by Detroit architect Harry J. Rill in the 1890s, and the original portions of the school and convent were designed by Smith, Hinchman and Grylls in 1927.
Statement of Significance St. Paul Roman Catholic Parish was the first Roman Catholic parish in the Grosse Pointes. Its history parallels the growth of the Grosse Pointe community from the esrly nineteenth century French farms along Lake St. Clair, through the summer cottages of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, t the suburbanized year-round community of today. The entire parish complex is a distinguished example of a late-nineteenth/early twentieth-century Roman Catholic parish complex containing the standard buildings that one would expect to see in such a complex - church, rectory, parish house, convent, and school. The church, completed in 1899, is a rare example of the French Gothic Revival style fo architecture in the Detroit area. Stained glass windows by Fredericks & Wolfram Art Glass Company of Detroit, installed in 1901, and Franz Mayer & Company of Munich, Germany, installed in 1924, contribute to the significance of the church. The works of Harry J. Rill, architect of the church, and Smith Hinchman & Grylls, Inc., architect of the school and convent, are well known in the Detroit area.
Marker Name St. Paul Catholic School and Convent
St. Paul Church / St. Paul Rectory and Parish House
Marker Text
SAINT PAUL CHURCH By the 1790s, French priests were ministering to farmers living along Lake St. Clair. In 1825 Father Francis Badin dedicated a log church to Saint Paul near the lake in present-day Grosse Pointe Shores. In 1850 a frame chapel was erected on the current site. Built in the 1890s, during Father John Elsen's pastorate, the present French Gothic-inspired church was designed by Detroit architect Harry J. Rill. The first mass held in the church was Father Elsen's funeral in 1899. SAINT PAUL RECTORY AND PARISH HOUSE Saint Paul Rectory, which reflects Neo-Tudor and Arts and Crafts design elements, was built in 1911. The Parish House was built around 1900 as the home of former (1876-77) Detroit Mayor Alexander Lewis. Stove manufacturer Edwin S. Barbour acquired the house in 1913. In 1925, according to plans by Detroit architect Robert O. Derrick, he renovated the house divesting it of its Neo-classical elements. Barbour's heir sold the estate to Saint Paul Parish in 1959.
Period of Significance 1895-1927
Significant Date(s) 1898-1927
Registry Type(s) 1993 Marker erected
06/17/1994 National Register listed
10/15/1992 State Register listed
Site ID# P3334