George Washington Jones House, photo submitted 1994. George Washington Jones House, photo submitted 1994.
Click above images to enlarge

Jones, George Washington, House
180Main Street, Marcellus - Cass County
Other Names George Washington Jones House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Late Victorian
Stick/Eastlake
Narrative Description The G.W. Jones house is a domestic, single family, residential dwelling which stands on the northeast corner of the intersection of Main and Jones Streets in the Village of Marcellus, Cass County, MI. The house, built in 1886 and vacant for the past ten years, is a two-story balloon-frame Stick/Eastlake style with a rectangular cross plan and full-height third floor attic. The house fronts south onto Main Street, approximately one-half block west of the downtown business district. To the west across Jones Street is the Romig Funeral Home, across Main Street to the south is the United Methodist Church, to the southwest is a residential area, and to the east are two residential buildings. Behind the house to the north on three city lots is a spacious bosk or wild garden. A residential area lies beyond that. Much of the original design and character of the house is intact. The few alterations detract little from the preserved Victorian design and decor. The house is in excellent condition.
Statement of Significance The George Washington Jones house, at the corner of Main and Jones Streets in the Village of Marcellus, Cass County, MI, meets National Register Criteria B and C. The property meets National Criterion B as the home of George Washington Jones, one of the founders of Marcellus and the community's leading businessman, from 1886 until his death in 1896. The site of the house at Main and Jones Streets in Marcellus is significant in the area of Exploration and Settlement as it is part of a 211 acre parcel which Jones, at 45 years of age, purchased in 1869 with the intent of developing a village along an impending railroad route. From this property, which Jones originally used as a farm, he platted the Village of Marcellus. As the village grew, he played a major part in the physical and economic building of the community. Jones is remembered today mainly for his influence on Commerce in the village through his founding of the G.W. Jones Exchange Bank one half block east and south of this parcel on Main Street. The bank has been owned and operated by the Jones family for the past 117 years.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Registry Type(s) 12/09/1994 National Register listed
01/17/1986 State Register listed
Site ID# P3327