Royal Aldrich House, photo submitted 1994. Royal Aldrich House, photo submitted 1994. Royal Aldrich House, photo submitted 1994.
Click above images to enlarge

Aldrich, Royal, House
31110Eleven Mile Road, Farmington Hills - Oakland County
Other Names Flora Basil House
Basil, Flora, House
Royal Aldrich House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description The Royal Aldrich house is a one and two-story, upright-and-double wing, Greek Revival house with walls finished in wood clapboarding over a post-and-beam frame. It rests on a stone foundation. The two-story, front-gable upright displays classical antae at the corners supporting a heavy cornice with returns and broad architrave and frieze bands extending around the sides. Matching hip-roof one-story side wings--each fronted by a porch with square-plan, Doric piers supporting an entablature similar to the uprights-flank the central upright. Original moveable shutters flank the double hung six-over-six pane windows. The roof is clad in cedar shingles and there is a single central interior chimney of brick.
Statement of Significance The Greek Revival-style Royal Aldrich house, built circa 1843, is a fine example of the upright-and-double wing house with Greek Revival-styling which is found in Michigan only in the state's south eastern counties which were largely settled by immigrants from New England and New York state. While the land was deeded to Esek Aldrich of Farmington, New York, a veteran of the War of 1812, in 1823, it appears that it was his son Royal who established the farm and built the house.
Marker Name Aldrich House
Marker Text ALDRICH HOUSE Royal Aldrich, a native of Farmington, New York, built this two-story Greek Revival farmhouse around 1840. His father, Esek, had purchased the 320-acre site from the United States government in 1823. Esek never lived here, but sold the property to Royal, who settled here in 1839. The house retains its original clapboard siding, interior woodwork, doors and hardware. It is supported by fourteen-inch to sixteen-inch walnut beams and a cobblestone basement foundation.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1843
Registry Type(s) 08/12/1982 Marker erected
08/19/1994 National Register listed
10/16/1981 State Register listed
Site ID# P3326