St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, photo submitted 1995. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, photo submitted 1995. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, photo submitted 1995.
Click above images to enlarge

Saint John the Baptist Catholic Church
904Eleventh Avenue, Menominee - Menominee County
Other Names Menominee County Historical Museum
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Style Other
Architect/Builder Derrick Hubert
Narrative Description The former St. John the Baptist Catholic Church is a gable-roof, Neo-Gothic church building with a stone and reinforced-concrete foundation and red brick walls. It faces south on 11th Avenue between 9th and 10th streets west of Menominee's historic central business district. The gable-roof main body of the church containing the narthex and nave has a basically rectangular plan with the slightly broader central of the five bays on each side projecting beyond the main wall plane and gable-topped. A five-sided apse at the rear contained the former sanctuary. A square-plan tower and belfry with crenellated parapet projects to the east of the front facade, and a rectangular sacristy wing projects to the east from near the back of the church adjacent to the former sanctuary. The church's water table, window sills, hood moldings, buttress caps, and a plaque above the central front entry giving the name of the church, "St. Johns," are of concrete, while the gable copings, crenellated tower parapet with its Gothic panels, gabled treatment over the tower entrance, and crosses atop the gables are of galvanized iron. St. John the Baptist now serves as the home of the Menominee County Historical Society.
Statement of Significance St. John the Baptist Church was the home of Menominee's oldest Catholic parish from its construction in 1921-22 until the parish was closed in 1972. A local product, the church building was designed by Menominee architect Derrick Hubert, a member of the parish. The Menominee Herald-Leader of July 19, 1921, in announcing the beginning of construction, opined that the new church would be Hubert's "masterpiece." St. John the Baptist retains its magnificent stained glass windows, reportedly made in Munich, Germany.
Period of Significance 1921-22
Registry Type(s) 07/21/1995 National Register listed
02/23/1981 State Register listed
Site ID# P3325