The Cobbs and Mitchell Building, photo submitted c. 1980 The Cobbs and Mitchell Building, photo submitted c. 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Cobbs and Mitchell, Inc., Building
100 East Chapin, west of Mitchell Street, Cadillac - Wexford County
Other Names Michigan Department of Transportation District 3 Headquarters
Property Type brick building
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Current Use GOVERNMENT/government office
Style Classical Revival
Architect/Builder George Dewitt Mason
Narrative Description The Cobbs and Mitchell Building is a one-story, three-bay-wide, Neo-Classical Revival structure with a smooth limestone three-quarter basement, a grand center entryway adorned with decorative garland molds, a Greek key corniceline fascia, and a segmented hip roof.
Statement of Significance The Cobbs and Mitchell Building is architecturally significant as an design of prominent architect George D. Mason and as an example of a Neo-Classical design in Cadillac and historically significant for its association with a successful lumbering company at the turn of the century.
Marker Name Cobbs & Mitchell Building
Marker Text COBBS & MITCHELL BUILDING In 1905, George D. Mason of Detroit designed this brick and limestone building as a showplace for the products of Cobbs & Mitchell, Incorporated, a nationally known lumber company. Completed in 1907, the building's interior is finished in nine varieties of native Michigan wood--elm, white maple, bird's-eye maple, sap birch, red birch, curly red birch, red beech, red oak and hemlock. The company was named for Jonathan W. Cobbs (1828-1898), and William W. Mitchell (1854-1915). Their families were prime movers in the growth of the city of Cadillac and developed much of northern Michigan's lumber industry. The building also housed the Mitchell Brothers Company and other lumbering interests before it was purchased by the State Highway Department in 1939.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1905-07
Registry Type(s) 03/25/1981 Marker erected
02/27/1980 State Register listed
Site ID# P25400