The Plymouth Mill, photo submitted c. 1989
Click above images to enlarge

Plymouth Mill
230 Wilcox Road, Plymouth Township - Wayne County
Other Names Wilcox Yard
Property Type factory
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/manufacturing facility
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Other
Architect/Builder Henry Ford
Significant Person Henry Ford
Narrative Description The Plymouth Mill is a rectangular, flat-roofed, concrete structure with one-story above grade facing north, and two stories above grade facing south. The north and south elevations are regulated by seven equal bays of window panels. The east facade is composed of two bays of windows, while the west facade features the main entrance of the building, flanked on either side by rectangular windows of equal proportion and asymmetrically placed.
Statement of Significance The Plymouth Mill was the fourth village industry site established by Henry Ford. Ford purchased and razed the old mill in 1922 and built a new factory in 1923. The mill produced taps (used to make screws); then, during World War II, it also produced small airplane parts. Shortly after the end of the war, all operations at the mill ceased.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1901-1945
Registry Type(s) 09/21/1989 State Register listed
Site ID# P25390