Sheldon's Corners Informational Designation
Southeast corner of Michigan Avenue and Sheldon Road, Canton - Wayne County
Marker Name Sheldon's Corners
Marker Text SHELDON'S CORNERS Timothy and Rachael Sheldon moved here from New York State in the early 1820s, after the Chicago Road (now US-12) was surveyed. The first people to purchase land in the area, they built an inn near here in 1825. In 1830, Timothy became postmaster of the area's post office. Eventually, the settlement of Sheldon's Corners supported a log schoolhouse, two general stores, two churches, a cobbler and a blacksmith. In 1834 this area became a part of the Township of Canton.
Period of Significance 1600-1825
Significant Date(s) 1820s
Registry Type(s) 03/31/1987 Marker erected
05/21/1985 State Register listed
Site ID# P25376