Cherry Hill United Methodist Church, photo submitted 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Cherry Hill United Methodist Church
321 Ridge Road, between Cherry Hill and Geddes roads, Canton Township - Wayne County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Gothic
Narrative Description Cherry Hill United Methodist Church is a brick, end-gable-roofed, Victorian Gothic church with hood molds over the lancet arched fenestration, paneled wooden gable ornamentation and a wooden Gothic style belfry. A plain frame addition was added 1928-1929 as an educational wing. The church is architecturally significant as a well preserved example of High Victorian Gothic ecclesiastical design. It is historically important as the home of a congregation started in 1834.
Marker Name Cherry Hill United Methodist Church
Marker Text CHERRY HILL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH When this pioneer church was organized in 1834, it was one of ten served by circuit rider Marcus Swift of the Detroit Methodist Conference. In 1848 its members raised six hundred dollars to build their first church, which served the community for thirty-four years. The present red brick Gothic-style church was completed in 1882. Its colorful stained-glass windows were donated by various families. The well-preserved church has been the setting for many community dinners and social gatherings as well as a religious focus for the community.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1882
Registry Type(s) 04/30/1986 Marker erected
07/29/1980 State Register listed
Site ID# P25375