Cherry Hill School, photo submitted 1989
Click above images to enlarge

Canton Fractional School District No. 1 Schoolhouse
50440 Cherry Hill Road, Canton - Wayne County
Other Names Cherry Hill School
Property Type schoolhouse
Historic Use EDUCATION
Current Use OTHER
Style Italianate
Other
Architect/Builder Henry Ford
Significant Person Henry Ford
Narrative Description The Canton Fractional School District No. 1 School is a one-story, gabled-roofed, painted brick building, topped by a square flat roof and bracketed cupola. the building features a full-arched entrance and flanking six-over-six lights topped by round arch hood molds. Brick corbeling and brackets appear beneath the gabled peak.
Marker Name Cherry Hill School
Marker Text CHERRY HILL SCHOOL In 1876 this Italianate schoolhouse replaced a log school, built in 1836 and known officially as Canton Fractional No. 1 School. In 1944, Henry Ford, who operated a small factory in Cherry Hill, paid for an addition to this building, as well as for the salary for a second teacher. The school became part of Ford's Greenfield Village School System where students benefitted from art, music and dance curricula. Cherry Hill School was absorbed by the Plymouth School District in 1955.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1876
Registry Type(s) 06/25/1991 Marker erected
03/16/1989 State Register listed
Site ID# P25374