The Marx House, photo taken 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Marx House
2630Biddle Avenue, Wyandotte - Wayne County
Other Names Langlois, Theophilus, House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Italianate
Significant Person Theophilus Langlois
Narrative Description The Marx House is a two-story, brick Italianate townhouse resting on a stone foundation. The house is topped by a truncated, bracketed hip-roof. The three-bay facade features tall windows framed by half-round brick hoods elaborated by light colored stone keystones and lintels. The double door entrance at one side of the facade supports a bracketed entablature. A two-story frame wing with a subsidiary single-story addition projects from the rear of the building.
Statement of Significance The Marx House is architecturally significant as a well preserved, standard Italianate townhouse. Built in approximately 1872 for Dr. Theophilus Langlois, the house was purchased by city attorney John Marx in 1921 and was restored in 1976. Dr. Langlois was a physician and prominent local citizen who served as mayor for two terms and founded the city's water works among other civic activities.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1872
Registry Type(s) 08/13/1976 National Register listed
01/16/1976 State Register listed
Site ID# P25370