MacNichol House, photo submitted 1984
Click above images to enlarge

MacNichol, George P., House
2610 Biddle Avenue, Wyandotte - Wayne County
Other Names Wyandotte Historical Museum
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/museum
Style Late Victorian
Queen Anne
Architect/Builder Malcomson and Higginbotham
Significant Person George MacNichol
Laura Ford MacNichol
Narrative Description The George P. MacNichol House is a large two-and-one-half-story Queen Anne style house. Wyandotte is an industrial and shipping based community located eleven miles south of the center of Detroit on the Detroit River which connects Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair. The MacNichol House was built in 1896 to the designs of the Detroit architectural firm of Malcomson and Higginbotham. This wood-frame house is rectangular in plan incorporating projecting bays and a corner turret and is capped with a steeply pitched hipped-roof with intersecting gables. The wide eaves are visually supported with projecting rafters. the large gable ends and the third floor of the turret are sheathed in wood shingles, while the remainder of the house is sheathed with clapboards. Each gable-end contains a Palladian window. A one-story porch starts in the middle of the north elevation, curves around the corner turret to the east elevation and terminates in a circular plan at the southeast corner of the building. The porch roof is supported by pairs of Tuscan columns on tall clapboard bases. Each column set is separated with geometric latticework below the cornice line and a spindle balustrade. The house contains large plate glass windows on the first floor.
Statement of Significance The George P. and Laura Ford MacNichol House is significant as a large and excellent example of a late Queen Anne style residence in Wyandotte, and industrial based community located eleven miles down river from the center of Detroit. The house is also significant as a residential work of the prominent Detroit architectural firm of Malcomson and Higgenbotham, and for its association with people important to the development of Wyandotte. It was built in 1896 for George and Laura Ford MacNichol. Laura MacNichol was the granddaughter of Captain J. B. Ford (1811-1903), founder of the Pittsburg Plate Glass Company and the Michigan Alkalai Company in Wyandotte, and the daughter of Edward Ford, the founder of the Ford Plate Glass Company in Toledo, which grew into the Libby-Owens-Ford Company, and cofounder of the Michigan Alkalai Company. George Pope MacNichol (1870-1930) was a medical doctor by training and was active in the research and development aspects of the Michigan Alkalai Company and the Ford Plate Glass Company. The size and splendor of the house reflects the stature of the MacNichol family. Typical of the Queen Anne style, the house presents a picturesque appearance with its asymmetrical massing, corner tower, intersecting rooflines and varied textures.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1896
Registry Type(s) 05/24/1984 National Register listed
11/15/1973 State Register listed
Site ID# P25369