Ford-Bacon House, photo dated 1978.
Click above images to enlarge

Ford-Bacon House
45Vinewood, Wyandotte - Wayne County
Other Names Edward Ford - Mary Bacon House
Bacon Memorial District Library
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use EDUCATION/library
Style Queen Anne
Architect/Builder Malcomson and Higginbotham
Narrative Description The Ford-Bacon House is a large, three-story above-basement, hip-roofed, lower cross-gabled, light brown brick and red-painted sandstone-trimmed Queen Anne structure. It has projecting tapered gables, a two-story side bay, square brick chimneys, gabled dormers, and a rear three-story round arched bell tower. etails include a hipped roof open porch, scrolled brackets and dentils under the roofline, a leaded glass transom, and scrolled iron gates in basement windows.
Statement of Significance The Edward Ford - Mary Bacon House has architectural significance as a large, Queen Anne-style brick design of the Detroit architectural firm of Malcomson and Higginbotham. It has historical significance as the residence of two Wyandotte merchant and civic families. Edward Ford, president of the Michigan Alkali Company (later to become Wyandotte Chemical Company), constructed this house for his wife Carrie in 1897. Ford, the son of chemical magnate John B. Ford, lived in the house only a short time before moving to Toledo in 1900. In 1902, Mark and Mary Ford Bacon, Edward's daughter, occupied the house. Mr. Bacon was elected to Congress in November, 1916. When the United States declared war on Germany on April 6, 1917, Congressman Bacon was one of the few who voted "nay" to the war. At a special election held on November 6, 1917, voters recalled Bacon. In 1942, following the death of her husband, Mary Ford Bacon bequeathed the house to the Wyandotte Board of Education for its educational use. It is today the Bacon Memorial Library.
Period of Significance 1897-1902
Significant Date(s) 1902
1898
1897
Registry Type(s) 12/01/1997 National Register listed
02/19/1987 State Register listed
Site ID# P25368