The Lake Linden Village Hall and Fire Station, photo submitted in 1981
Click above images to enlarge

Lake Linden Village Hall and Fire Station
401Calumet Street, Lake Linden - Houghton County
Other Names Lake Linden Village Hall
Property Type fire station
town hall
Historic Use GOVERNMENT/city hall
Current Use GOVERNMENT/city hall
Style Classical Revival
Romanesque
Architect/Builder C. K. Shand
Narrative Description The Lake Linden Village Hall and Fire Station is a two-and-one-half-story, square-plan, sandstone trim, brick-wall building facing west on Calumet Avenue at Fourth Street in Lake Linden, in Michigan's western Upper Peninsula. It has a hipped roof, originally clad in slate, and a one-story addition in the rear has a flat roof. The main entrance is through a square tower, the dominant feature on the front facade, highlighted by a gable on each side; an additional gable appears on the south side elevation. The structure features rows of arched windows, belt courses emphasizing horizontal lines in contrast to the vertical thrust of the tower, and the rich use of a regional building material, Jacobsville sandstone.
Statement of Significance The village of Lake Linden was incorporated in 1885 at the height of an industrial boom period for which prosperous copper and lumber milling operations were responsible. In 1887 a fire burned forty acres of Lake Linden's business district, nearly destroying the village. The former village hall survived, but it was recognized that a new structure which also provided space for a fire station was needed to protect the village. The village council requested that local architects submit designs for consideration in July 1901. C. K. Shand of Calumet was awarded the contract. A local contractor, L. F. Ursin, offered the low bid, which was accepted. At this point, the old frame village hall was sold and removed. The new village hall opened in March 1902 and served many functions in addition to fire station as a polling place, social hall, and public meeting space. The Lake Linden Village Hall and Fire Station sees less constant use today, however, it continues to function as village government office space and to stand as a monument in brick and sandstone with its majestically designed tower rising above the main street of Lake Linden. It signifies the pride in community and concern for protection of its built environment.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1901
Registry Type(s) 10/26/1981 National Register listed
12/15/1994 State Register listed
Site ID# P3250