Ira Wilson Dairy Barn, photo submitted 1973
Click above images to enlarge

Wilson Barn
9710Middlebelt Road, NE corner of West Chicago, Livonia - Wayne County
Other Names Ira Wilson Dairy Barn
Property Type barn
Historic Use AGRICULTURE/SUBSISTENCE/agricultural outbuilding
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Other
Architect/Builder John H. Paterson
Narrative Description The Ira Wilson Dairy Barn is a large, post-and-beam, gambrel-roofed structure. It rests on a stone foundation that forms the walls of the lower level, and is clad in vertical wood siding. The barn is attached by way of a small shed, to a large, round silo constructed of a dark-brown, glazed tile. The lower level of the interior was converted from dairy operations to use as horse stalls in 1944.
Statement of Significance Ira Wilson was born in 1867 in Livonia Township. He started farming at an early age, raising dairy cattle from which milk was sold for profit. On his farm in 1919, Wilson built a dairy barn on the foundations of a barn built in 1888 that had burned. Wilson's dairy farming eventually led him to enter into the creamery and trucking business as well.
Marker Name Wilson Barn
Marker Text WILSON BARN This barn was constructed in 1919 on the burnt-out foundation of an earlier structure built about 1888. It is a fine example of an increasingly rare bank barn style. Here, on the farm owned and operated by his family since 1847, Ira Wilson built a million-dollar enterprise which grew from dairy farming, to delivery, to full creamery operations. By his death in 1944 the business had become "one of the district's leading creameries." Wilson also held several local elective offices.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1888, 1919
Registry Type(s) 02/21/1974 Marker erected
12/12/1973 National Register listed
11/15/1973 State Register listed
Site ID# P25333