Highland Park Presbyterian Church, photo submitted 1980 Highland Park Presbyterian Church, photo submitted 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Highland Park Presbyterian Church
14 Cortland Street, Highland Park - Wayne County
Other Names Park United Presbyterian Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Late Gothic Revival
Tudor Revival
Architect/Builder NICKLAS AND BADGLEY
Sidney Bagdley
William Nicklas
Narrative Description The Highland Park Presbyterian Church is located on the northwest corner of Cortland and Woodward Avenue in Highland Park and measures 110 feet in length and eighty-five feet in width. The church is a red brick and limestone-trimmed, Tudor Gothic-style church raised on a rock faced limestone basement. The gabled main portion containing an oversized, traceried, stained-glass window is abutted on the south by a square, buttressed, flat-roofed, corner tower with a louvered belfry and a massive, gabled, wooden porch supported on brick piers sheltering the entrance. Adjacent to the corner tower and set back from the main block is the gabled educational wing. A small, buttressed, corner tower shelters the entrance of the church office. The building retains its distinctive red terra cotta tile roof. The property also contains the manse, which, built in 1905, is a simple, two-story, hip-roof, brick structure, located adjacent to the church at 20 Cortland Street.
Statement of Significance Highland Park Presbyterian Church originated as a mission of the First Presbyterian Church of Detroit in 1893. In 1896 a small frame chapel was built and dedicated on the site of the present church. The growth of the congregation led to the erection of the present building from 1910 to 1911. Membership in the church had by then grown to over two hundred members. The Highland Park congregation is the oldest Presbyterian group in the city. The church is significant as a fine example of the work of the prominent turn-of-the-century church architect, Sidney Rose Badgley, and as a well preserved example of a standard, Akron-plan, auditorium church.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1910-1911
Registry Type(s) 08/03/1982 National Register listed
08/12/1983 State Register listed
Site ID# P25323