Stratton House, photo 1983 Stratton House, photo 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Stratton, William B. and Mary Chase, House
938 Three Mile Drive, Grosse Pointe Park - Wayne County
Other Names Stratton House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Bungalow/Craftsman
Architect/Builder Mary Chase Perry Stratton
William B. Stratton
Narrative Description The residence of William Buck and Mary Chase Perry Stratton is an unconventional early modern dwelling employing natural and handworked materials, texture, and color, in a masterly composition of the original style. Influenced by the Arts and Crafts Movement, this house is a manifestation of the collaboration of architect William Buck Stratton and ceramicist Mary Chase Perry Stratton. The irregularly massed two-story house is constructed of brown to beige varicolored and rough finished brick laid in Flemish bond on a hollow-tile-with-steel-beams-and-joists structural system and it topped with a low pitched, unglazed Pewabic tile roof. Locate in an upper middle-class northern Detroit suburb, the house is carefully united with its well landscaped lot.
Statement of Significance The William Buck and Mary Chase Stratton Residence represents the fullest and most personal statement of two nationally known individuals: architect William Buck Stratton and ceramic artist Mary Chase Perry Stratton. The dwelling is noted for refined composition and harmony. Built in 1927, during an age when houses were monumental or stylized, the Stratton House with its handworked materials and textures with clear cut structural forms to define space, indicates the influence of the Arts and Crafts movement tempered by modern and Mediterranean design. Intimately related to the garden and landscaping, the house affords a continuing succession of visual experiences and an interior of simple elegance, charm, warmth and utility. The Stratton house represents the most important manifestation of the Strattons' architecture and ceramic art which had developed for over fifty years.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) Built 1927
Registry Type(s) 05/24/1984 National Register listed
Site ID# P25308