Woodward East Historic District, photo submitted 1974 Woodward East Historic District, photo submitted 1974
Click above images to enlarge

Woodward East Historic District
Bounded by Alfred, Edmund, Watson, and Brush and John R streets, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Piety Hill
Property Type district
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Romanesque
Second Empire
Narrative Description The Woodward East Historic District is a predominantly residential area composed of fine Victorian homes. The scale of the district is shaped by two- or three-story brick homes featuring a variety of architectural details ranging from Second Empire slate Mansard roofs to Romanesque columns and classical dentiled cornices. The district's high number of well preserved, brick and stone churches gives the area its nickname, Piety Hill.
Statement of Significance The Woodward East Historic District was one of the city's most prestigious neighborhoods, associated with some of Detroit's most prominent citizens. Located on the former site of Brush farm, one of Detroit's earliest French ribbon farms, the area was subdivided in 1854. The neighborhood soon featured estates built by the city's commercial and financial leaders, including Michigan Supreme Court Justice James V. Campbell. In recent decades some of the homes in the district have deteriorated due to neglect. The district as a whole, however, maintains much of its historic integrity.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1854
Registry Type(s) 01/21/1975 National Register listed
09/17/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P25292