Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church, photo submitted 1982 Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church, photo submitted 1982
Click above images to enlarge

Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church
8501 Woodward Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Sidney Rose Badgley
Significant Person Tracy McGregor
Narrative Description The structure is located on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue at West Philadelphia in Detroit and measuring 184 feet in length and 104 feet in width. Woodward Avenue Presbyterian is a rock-faced, brownstone, modern English Gothic-style church with smooth, contrasting, limestone trim. It represents a radical departure in massing and plan from the standard, end-gable-roof-and-corner tower gothic church type. The essentially square, two-story structure is dominated by a tall, octagonal, stone lantern rising from the center of the roof. The symmetrical, Woodward Avenue facade is composed of two, low, square towers flanking a gabled central section containing the massive, carved-stone-enframed entrance and a Gothic-arched, traceried, stained glass window. The side elevations are dominated by the gabled transepts, which contain full height traceried windows. Adjoining the rear of the church is the two-story educational wing which was constructed at the same time as the church. The design depends upon the contrast between the rough, dark, brownstone walls and the abundant light-colored smooth, limestone English Gothic carving used for the window enframements, the parapets, the gable panels and the portal treatment.
Statement of Significance By 1908 Detroit Presbyterians saw the need for a church to serve the then "north" Woodward area. In September 1908, Mrs. Tracy McGregor donated the lot on which the present church stands. The cornerstone for the church was set on January 1, 1910, and the completed church dedicated on June 23, 1911. The Woodward Avenue Presbyterian Church is significant as a major work of the prominent turn-of-the-century church architect, Sidney Rose Badgley, and is a very fine example of the type of lantern-dome-crowned, auditorium church for which Badgley was best known.
Period of Significance 1908-1911
Significant Date(s) 1908, 1911
Registry Type(s) 08/03/1982 National Register listed
Site ID# P25291