The Whittier Apartments, photo 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Whittier Hotel
415 Burns Drive, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Whittier Apartments
Property Type apartment building
Historic Use DOMESTIC/multiple dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/multiple dwelling
Style Italian Renaissance
Architect/Builder CHARLES N. AGREE
ELLISS COMPANY
Narrative Description The Whittier Apartments consists of two separate buildings. The first building is eight stories in height and has red brick facades and regular fenestration. The lowest two stories and outer bays are clad in smooth-faced stone. Renaissance ornamental details are found in the rusticated stone and classical arcade of the lowest two stories and in the balustrades and moldings. The building originally contained 184 units when it was completed in 1922. The second of the Whittier buildings is thirteen stories in height, has buff brick facades, and is basically Italian Renaissance in style, with much terra cotta trim in the upper floors and an arcaded treatment in the first floor. This structure was built in 1926. A modern, single-story entrance has been added to the facade.
Statement of Significance The Whittier apartments is significant as the first of several large, luxury apartment hotels designed by Detroit architect Charles N. Agree for Detroit in the 1920s. It is notable in architectural terms for the quality of its exterior and interior finish and in engineering terms for being built on a slab foundation because of the marshy soil along the Detroit River.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1922, 1926
Registry Type(s) 10/09/1985 National Register listed
Site ID# P25286