Wayne County Courthouse, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Wayne County Courthouse
600 Randolph Street, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Wayne County Building
Property Type courthouse
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style Beaux Arts
Architect/Builder JOHN SCOTT
Narrative Description The Wayne County Courthouse is a massive rectangular plan, four-story Beaux-Arts county courthouse. The building has walls of light colored Ohio sandstone standing on a rusticated stone foundation and topped by an elaborate central tower surmounted by a cupola. The entrance facade features a projecting central pavilion with a stone staircase leading to the first floor and a and two-story pedimented porch at the second story. Squared corner towers project from each facade. Ornate decorative elements include trabeated windows, balustraded balconies, Corinthian pilasters and columns, and Baroque sculpture groups.
Statement of Significance The Wayne County Courthouse is one of Detroit's landmark structures and is a fine example of Beaux-Arts architecture. Prominently located on Woodward Avenue, one of the city's main thoroughfares, the courthouse held all of Wayne County's courts and offices. Designed by John Scott and built from 1897 to 1902, the building stood opposite the elaborate city hall which was demolished in 1961. The Old Wayne County Building Limited purchased the courthouse in 1984 and completed a $25 million restoration in 1987. The building is currently leased to the county, a children's day care center, and other businesses.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1897
Registry Type(s) 02/24/1975 National Register listed
09/17/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P25279