Vinton Building, photo 1982
Click above images to enlarge

Vinton Building
600 Woodward Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type skyscraper
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Style Classical Revival
Skyscraper
Architect/Builder Albert Kahn
Vinton Company
Significant Person Robert K. Vinton
Narrative Description The Vinton Building is a twelve-story, rectangular steel-framed, early twentieth-century office tower finished in light-gray brick. Its tall and narrow facade, topped by a low gable, is Italian Romanesque in inspiration and consists of vertical window bands, with arched heads, separated from one another by narrow, brick piers. Designed by Detroit architect Albert Kahn, the building was completed in 1917.
Statement of Significance The Vinton Building is significant for its historic association with one of Detroit's oldest and most important building firms, founded in 1858 by Warren A. Vinton. Built for Robert K. Vinton, grandson of the firm's founder, the Vinton Building has architectural significance as the work of noted architect Albert Kahn, and as a notable example of the eclectic, steel-frame office buildings of the early twentieth century.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1916-1917
Registry Type(s) 02/17/1983 National Register listed
11/16/1982 State Register listed
Site ID# P25273