Charles Trombley House, photo dated 1971 Charles Trombley House, photo dated 1971
Click above images to enlarge

Trombly, Charles, House
553 East Jefferson Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Beaubien House, Antisdel House
Property Type townhouse
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Style Italianate
Narrative Description The Trombly House is a rectangular, three-story, red brick townhouse. The facade measures three bays wide and features Italianate elements including triangular and segmental arched carved stone window hoods. Stone bandcourses separate the second and third stories. A bracketed cornice has been reconstructed based on plans from the original. The off-center entrance features an etched glass transom light and brackets supporting an entablature.
Statement of Significance The Trombly House is one of the oldest residences in Detroit and is a rare example of early middle class architecture from the city's period of French settlement. The house is located on what was Antoine Beaubien's ribbon farm dating from 1810. The house was built by a local carpenter in approximately 1851 for Beaubien's cousin Charles Trombly, and his wife, Elizabeth Knaggs. Once a common middle class urban style, houses similar to the Trombly House have become increasingly rare in Detroit. Converted into apartments in approximately 1965, the building was restored in 1977 by the Michigan Society of Architects and currently serves as the group's headquarters.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1851
Registry Type(s) 08/13/1979 National Register listed
08/15/1975 State Register listed
Site ID# P25266