Third Precinct (Hunt Street Police Station), photos 1898 & 1979
Click above images to enlarge

Third Precinct Police Station
2200 Hunt Street, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Hunt Street Station
Property Type police station
Historic Use GOVERNMENT
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Beaux Arts
Architect/Builder EDWARD C. VAN LEYEN
Narrative Description The Third Precinct (Hunt Street) Police Station is a rectangular, three-story, hip-roofed, yellow ochre pressed brick and limestone structure. The exterior is richly massed with projecting and receding planes and a staggered cornice line that effectively disguise the building's essentially boxy form. The entrance is located in a curved corner bay. The exterior walls are sheathed in banded limestone on the raised basement and the first story and the upper levels are faced in brick. The tall, projecting pavilions facing Hunt and Dubois streets have their second and third floor windows vertically unified by arched guilloche-patterned, terra-cotta enframements, the third floor windows are topped by arched hoods. The boldly projected modillion cornice is metal, fabricated by the Detroit Cornice and Slate Company. The focal point of the richly detailed exterior is the curving entrance pavilion. This curve is echoed by the slightly projecting limestone portico sheltering the recessed entrance at the first story level.
Statement of Significance The Hunt Street Police Station is architecturally significant as a well preserved example of a Beaux Arts public building of the late nineteenth century. It is primarily of historical significance for its role in the history of the Detroit police force. Hunt Street Station is also a benchmark to the growth of Detroit in the late nineteenth century. The building was designed by Detroit architect Edward C. Van Leyen and completed in 1896. Hunt Street Station was sold after being consolidated in 1959 with the Seventh Precinct and replaced by a new building.
Period of Significance 1896-1959
Significant Date(s) 1896
Registry Type(s) 02/29/1980 National Register listed
Site ID# P25264