Saint Mary Saint Mary
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church
646 Monroe, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint Mary's Downtown Complex
Property Type religious complex
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Julius Hess
Peter Dederichs
Significant Person Martin Kundig
Narrative Description Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church is a unified church complex consisting of a church, rectory and school with red brick walls with stone trim designed in the High Victorian Romanesque style with round arch windows, polychromatic stone voussoirs, and hood moulds.
Marker Name St. Mary's School-Rectory-Church (3 markers)
Marker Text ST. MARY'S CHURCH St. Mary's parish was founded by Father Martin Kundig in 1835 for the German-speaking Catholics in Detroit and is the third oldest Catholic parish in the city. The cornerstone for the original church was laid on the feast of Corpus Christi, June 19, 1841, and the church was consecrated in honor of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary on June 29, 1843. This High Victorian Romanesque-style structure was designed by German parishioner Peter Dederichs. The cornerstone was laid in 1884, and the edifice completed in 1885. St. Mary's founded the city's first black and Hispanic Catholic missions. Since 1893, this parish has been guided by the Fathers of the Congregation of the Holy Ghost, C.S.Sp. ST. MARY'S RECTORY Constructed in 1876, this North Italian Banded Romanesque structure was designed by Swiss architect Julius Hess. It is the second rectory building of St. Mary's parish, which was organized in 1835 under the leadership of Father Martin Kundig (1835-1843)owing Father Kundig were the Redemptorist Fathers (1847-1872), the Franciscan Fathers (1872-1893) and the Holy Ghost Fathers, C.S.Sp., (1893 to the present). This edifice was completed under the guidance of the Franciscans. It also served as their monastery. ST. MARY'S SCHOOL This structure, designed by Pius Daubner, was completed in 1868. It is one of the oldest Catholic school buildings in the state and the third in the history of St. Mary's. At the first school, built in 1844, laymen were the original instructors. In 1852 the "Christian Brothers" opened two classes with 180 pupils and the School Sisters of Notre Dame (a German order of teaching nuns) took charge of the girls and smaller boys. In 1855 a second school was built and used as a combination school, orphanage and sisters' residence. Prior to closing in 1966, St. Mary's Commercial School for Girls was the only one of its kind in Detroit. The building is now St. Mary's Community Center.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1876
1885
Registry Type(s) 08/01/1980 Marker erected
06/15/1979 State Register listed
Site ID# P25232