Saint Joseph's Episcopal Church
8850 Woodward Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint Matthew's - Saint Joseph's Episcopal Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Postmedieval English
Architect/Builder James Nettleton
Narrative Description St. Joseph's Episcopal Church is a dark coursed sandstone, English Gothic-style church with gray limestone trim built from 1926 to 1927. It is typically Gothic in plan with a tall, narrow gabled nave with lower side aisles extending back to projecting, gabled transepts. The north transept is abutted by a tall, square, flat-roofed tower with a louvered belfry, which serves as the transitional element between the church and the one-and-one-half story, Gothic, parish house wing. The buttressed facade consists of the usual recessed entrance portal surmounted by a rose window. The buttressed side elevations contain four bays of Gothic clerestory windows extending back to the gabled transepts with their attenuated tripartite Gothic windows.
Statement of Significance This English Gothic church was the successor to the earlier St. Joseph's Memorial Chapel. The architect, James J. Nettleton, a graduate of Cornell University's school of architecture and former draftsman with the Detroit firm of Donaldson and Meier, was a member of St. Joseph's congregation. In 1971, St. Matthew's, Detroit's oldest Black Episcopal congregation, merged with St. Joseph's Episcopal after the sale of their building to another congregation. The 1927 St. Joseph's Church is a well-preserved locally significant example of the Neo-Gothic movement in church architecture.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1926, 1927, 1893
Registry Type(s) 08/03/1982 National Register listed
Site ID# P25231