Saint John
Click above images to enlarge

Saint John's Episcopal Church
2326 Woodward Avenue, between Fisher Freeway Service Drive and Montcalm, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Albert H. Jordan
Jordan and Anderson
Significant Person Henry Porter Baldwin
Narrative Description St. John's Episcopal Church is a rectangular gable-roofed Victorian Gothic-style, locally quarried rubbled Kelly Island limestone building trimmed in sandstone, with an attached square corner tower, arcaded belfry, pinnacles and pointed arch windows. The north and south side walls are supported by buttresses and hammer beam trusses. The tower and belfry rise 105 feet above the building which, including the chapel, measures 170 feet long and sixty-five feet wide. The church interior features massive arches, the chancel, the sanctuary with exquisite reredos and mosaic superreredos above a white Caen stone altar.
Statement of Significance St. John's Episcopal Church has architectural significance as one of Detroit's earliest limestone Gothic Revival-style churches. The church was organized on December 27, 1858 with the assistance of Henry Porter Baldwin (1814 to 1892), a successful merchant, Michigan governor, and United States senator, who became the church's principal lay leader and benefactor. Baldwin purchased property, and underwrote the entire cost of building a chapel to seat 150 persons and a rectory. Architects James Anderson and Albert Jordan designed the church building which was completed in 1861.
Marker Name St. John's Episcopal Church
Marker Text ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH St. John's Episcopal parish, established in December 1958, served what was then a rural area of Detroit. Albert Jordan designed the original church (now St. John's Chapel), which was built in 1859. Henry Porter Baldwin, a former United States senator and future governor, donated the church lot and paid for the building. Two years later Jordan and his partner James Anderson, by then Detroit's ranking church architects, designed the present Victorian Gothic church. Known as the "Patriarch of Piety Hill," the limestone structure was constructed with a partial donation from Baldwin. The chancel was enlarged in 1892 and in 1936 the church and chapel (forty million pounds) were moved sixty feet eastward when Woodward Avenue was widened.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1859-1861, 1935
Registry Type(s) 10/03/1988 Marker erected
08/03/1982 National Register listed
06/10/1987 State Register listed
Site ID# P25228