St. Catherine of Siena (St. Augustine - St. Monica Roman Catholic Parish Complex, photos submitted 1991 St. Catherine of Siena (St. Augustine - St. Monica Roman Catholic Parish Complex, photos submitted 1991
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Catherine of Siena Roman Catholic Parish Complex
4151 Seminole, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint Augustine - Saint Monica Roman Catholic Parish Complex
Property Type religious complex
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Late Victorian
Architect/Builder Donaldson and Meier
Narrative Description The St. Catherine of Siena (St. Augustine - St. Monica) Parish complex consists of four buildings. The style of all the buildings was called Romanesque, but some details from other round-arch styles such as Early Christian and Byzantine are present. The church is the dominant element of the complex. The building is built on a Latin cross plan and has walls of mixed red and brown tapestry brick in English bond. The main facade is a parapeted gable-front fronted by a Romanesque arcaded portico. Above the portico three tall, arched windows dominate the facade. A wheel window surrounded by alternating brick and stone voussoirs decorates the pediment. The facade is flanked by single-story extensions housing entrance doors at ground level facing the sides of the building. A tower flanks one side of the church and contains an entrance vestibule.
Statement of Significance St. Catherine of Siena, now known as the St. Augustine - St. Monica parish, is significant primarily for its architectural quality. In 1913 the parish school building was designed by the Detroit firm of Donaldson & Meier. The building included a chapel and parish hall and was completed at a cost of $52,000. Convent and rectory buildings were completed by 1926. A separate church building was completed in 1929 at a cost of $130,000. By 1970 the dwindling congregation of St. Catherine of Siena merged with the nearby congregation of St. Edward's Roman Catholic Church and the buildings at St. Edward's were demolished. In 1990 the parish of St. Catherine of Siena was closed and a new parish dedicated to St. Augustine and St. Monica was established and is currently housed in the complex.
Period of Significance 1919-1929
Significant Date(s) 1929
Registry Type(s) 04/05/1991 National Register listed
Site ID# P25225