St. Boniface Catholic Church, photo submitted 1989
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Boniface Roman Catholic Church
2356 Vermont Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint Boniface - St. Vincent Roman Catholic Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Late Victorian
Architect/Builder William Scott and Company
Narrative Description St. Boniface Church is an imposing, cruciform-shaped, red brick and cream-painted wooden building resting on a masonry foundation. An eclectic example of Romanesque and Ruskinian Gothic architecture, the church features a high sloping roof over the nave, steeply gabled stone entry arches, a central pavillion which has recessed round arches and a stone statue of St. Boniface in the recessed gabled pediment at the roof line. The structure is topped by a square, louvered bell tower crowned by an octagonal metal roof punctuated by four gablets. Side walls are supported by heavy, stone-embellished buttresses which enframe large tracery windows. The rectory is a two-story, black painted Italianate stone building with open gabled portico, rectangular and round arch window enframements, accented by keystone decorations, a bracketed corniceline, and a modified hip-roof topped by cross gabled dormers.
Statement of Significance St. Boniface is the oldest German Roman Catholic church on Detroit's west side. Detroit's German Catholic population, original settlers on the city's east side, began to migrate to the west side in the 1860s along the Michigan Avenue corridor. In 1867 Bishop Casper Borgess created a new parish to serve all German families west of Woodward Avenue. By 1873, a two-story, red brick Italianate rectory building adjoining the church school building was constructed at a cost of $6,000. Plans for a new stone church were drafted by William M. Scott of Detroit and the building was finished in 1883 at a cost of $30,000. St. Boniface is architecturally significant as an imposing, eclectic late Victorian religious edifice designed by a prominent local firm.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1873, 1883
Registry Type(s) 06/09/1989 National Register listed
03/23/1983 State Register listed
Site ID# P25224