St. Andrew St. Andrew
Click above images to enlarge

Saint Andrew's Memorial Episcopal Church
5105 Anthony Wayne Drive, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Saint Andrew's
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Gothic
Architect/Builder Cram, Wentworth, and Goodhue
Narrative Description St. Andrew's Memorial Episcopal Church was completed in 1902 from plans drawn in the early 1890s by the Boston-based architectural firm of Cram, Wentworth & Goodhue. The architecture of St. Andrew's represents Ralph Adams Cram's fascination with the Perpendicular style of English Gothic church architecture that flourished from the mid-14th through the 15th century. Like the Perpendicular, Cram's St. Andrew's displays characteristic, straight, vertical and horizontal lines; slender, vertically subdivided support buttresses; rows of massive columns in the nave; minimal decorative stonework; and only modest amounts of tracery at the head of the windows. As it appeared in 1902, St. Andrew's exterior was constructed of Bedford limestone with trimmings of Berea sandstone.
Statement of Significance St. Andrew's Memorial Church is significant for a few reasons. First, the church was designed by the Boston-based firm of Cram, Wentworth & Goodhue and was one of Cram's earliest designs. The building also embodies Cram's philosophical ponderings concerning the Perpendicular Gothic as the most suitable vehicle for capturing the solid traditions of Medieval English church architecture during the late 1800s. St. Andrew's parish was also one of the earliest religious institutions established in the University-Cultural Center. St. Andrew's parish is an important symbol of the missionary expansion of the Episcopal Church in Michigan during the 1870s and 1880s.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1849, 1902, 1906
Registry Type(s) 05/01/1986 National Register listed
Site ID# P25218