The Players playhouse, photo submitted 1987 The Players playhouse, photo submitted 1987
Click above images to enlarge

Players, The
3321 East Jefferson Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Players Playhouse, The
Property Type theater
Historic Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/theater
Current Use RECREATION AND CULTURE/theater
Style Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival
Architect/Builder Corrado Parducci
Paul Honore
William Kapp
Significant Person Guy Brewster Cady
Narrative Description The Players playhouse is located on East Jefferson Avenue in Detroit. It is a brick and concrete-trimmed tile roofed, Mediterranean Revival style rectangular, one-story building, supported by a flat-roofed, two-story, brick rear addition. A round arch triple bay facade of concrete block is enframed by a wrought-iron balcony. Ten stone sculptures, representing comedy and tragedy appear beneath a recessed frieze line, and facade extremities are accented by concrete block quoining. Beneath the west entrance pavilion traced in limestone is the legend "The Players," above which is an open-mouthed stone figure surmounted by the pig Latin phrase "Numquam-Renig" - Never Renege. The playhouse is also notable for its splashy Art Deco interior murals, which feature theatrical paintings and appointments.
Statement of Significance The Players playhouse has architectural significance as a major work of William Kapp, senior architect of Smith, Hinchman, and Grylls, who considered the clubhouse his favorite architectural commission. It has historical significance as an elaborately designed, men-only amateur theatre and clubhouse for Detroit's elite businessmen in the mid 1920s. The Players was strictly a male organization from its inception when it was established by Guy Brewster Cady. Members taking turns playing the feminine roles. Players members were prominent Detroit businessmen, and none were professional theater people. William Kapp, architect; Corrado Parducci, stone sculptor; and Paul Honore, muralist, all belonged to the Players Club, and each worked on the playhouse building. Completed at a cost of $75,000, the Players playhouse was dedicated on December 10, 1925.
Marker Name The Players
Marker Text THE PLAYERS The Players, a Detroit gentlemen's amateur theatre club founded in 1911, opened this playhouse in 1926. The handsome building was created by club members William E. Kapp, architect; Corrado Parducci, stone sculptor; and Paul Honore, muralist. The playhouse, built in the style of the sixteenth-century English Renaissance, was one of the earliest major structures in the area to use cinder block laid in ashlar on its interior walls to give the appearance of cut stone. It has been in continual use as a playhouse since its completion.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1925
Registry Type(s) 04/22/1987 Marker erected
06/12/1987 National Register listed
08/22/1985 State Register listed
Site ID# P25203