Christopher Moross House, photo taken 1978
Click above images to enlarge

Moross House
1460 East Jefferson, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Jones, James M., House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use WORK IN PROGRESS
Style Federal
Architect/Builder Christopher Moross
Narrative Description The Christopher and Emily Cicotte Moross House is a two-story, rectangular, side-hall brick house standing on a river limestone foundation. The house also features a single-story rear extension and a side addition. The house is topped by a parapeted, wood-shingled roof with chimneys at each side. The three-bay entrance facade features many Federal elements including a denticulated cornice, stone sills and lintels on the windows, and a doorway with side and transom lights.
Statement of Significance The Moross House is the oldest extant brick residence in the city of Detroit. The building stands on parts of the original Gouin and Riopelle ribbon farms, owned by the first French settlers in the area. Moross House is one of two originally located on the site, built by local brickmaker Christopher Moross, in approximately 1843 to 1848. The house underwent several changes of ownership until it was purchased by the Detroit Historical Commission in the 1920s. A complete restoration was undertaken from 1971 and 1973 and the home is currently the headquarters for the Detroit Garden Center.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1855
Registry Type(s) 01/13/1972 National Register listed
06/19/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P25184