The Metropolitan United Methodist Church, photo submitted 1986
Click above images to enlarge

Metropolitan United Methodist Church
8000 Woodward Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use RELIGION/religious facility
Style Late Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder William E. N. Hunter
Narrative Description The Metropolitan Methodist Church is a vast, Collegiate Gothic style ochre colored structure of Massachusetts granite. It is a cruciform, buttressed, cross- gable-roofed church with low sidewings filling the space between the cross arms. The church was designed by congregation member, and well known church designer, William E. N. Hunter.
Statement of Significance Detroit's Metropolitan United Methodist Church is Michigan's largest Methodist congregation at 2,500 members. The church was designed by congregation member William E. N. Hunter, a prolific early twentieth century church architect, in 1926 after a fire had destroyed the first building on Christmas Eve. The new structure cost $1,500,000 and housed a congregation that by 1956 numbered 7,000 members.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1922, 1926
Registry Type(s) 08/03/1982 National Register listed
10/23/1986 State Register listed
Site ID# P25174