Merchants Building, photo taken 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Merchants Building
206 East Grand River Boulevard, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Broadway Merchants Building
Property Type store
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/business
Style Classical Revival
Architect/Builder Otto Misch Company
Significant Person John J. Barlum
Narrative Description Designed by Otto Misch in 1922 The Merchants Building is an eight-story, terra cotta wrapped, steel and reinforced-concrete building topped with a flat roof and a single terra cotta parapet wall. The building is divided into three sections; the first two-stories comprise the storefront area, the mid-section divides the five floors with metal spandrel panels with four raised panels. The top floor windows are divided by terra cotta shields.
Statement of Significance The Merchants Building is significant as a well designed and developed terra-cotta clad, Classical Revival building. The building was one of three that John J. Barlum had constructed in the 1920s to stimulate growth in the Cadillac Square area.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1922
Registry Type(s) 11/25/1983 National Register listed
Site ID# P25173