The L. B. King Building, photo submitted 1987
Click above images to enlarge

King, L. B., and Company Building
1274 Library Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Annis Fur Building
Property Type commercial building
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE/department store
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Style Renaissance
Architect/Builder Rogers and Macfarlane
Narrative Description The L. B. King and Company Building is a six-story, steel frame, commercial building with a Renaisance Revival-style facade of white terra cotta. The facades of the first two stories are virtually all glass, while the top four stories feature Chicago windows. Crowning the structure is an elaborate cornice of Italian Renaissance inspiration, an alteration carried out in 1926.
Statement of Significance The L.B. King and Company Building is one of a small number of fine, terra cotta clad, commercial buildings in downtown Detroit designed by leading architects Rogers and Macfarlane. It housed two firms, L.B. King & Company China wholesalers and Annis Furs Company, both of whom were prominent in the commercial history of Detroit.
Marker Name L. B. King and Company Building
Marker Text L. B. KING AND COMPANY BUILDING L. B. King and Company headquartered here from 1911 to 1932, and Annis Furs occupied the building from 1932 to 1983. Constructed in 1911 to the designs of James S. Rogers and Walter MacFarlane, it exemplifies the Chicago commercial style popular in the early twentieth century. The building features a steel frame, terra cotta skin, three-part vertical division and banks of "Chicago windows." It incorporates classical decorative elements in the cornice and the window details.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) Built 1910-11
Registry Type(s) 01/12/1989 Marker erected
06/12/1987 National Register listed
01/22/1987 State Register listed
Site ID# P25151