John Harvey House, photo submitted 1990
Click above images to enlarge

Harvey, John, House
97 Winder, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type brick building
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Second Empire
Architect/Builder John V. Smith
Significant Person John Harvey
Narrative Description The John Harvey House is a red brick building set on an ashlar foundation. The entrance appears fairly centered on the front facade of the building; although the steps are gone, most of the porch detail has survived. Stylized wooden brackets emerge from the stone watertable to support the sills of the multi-storied towers and and bays on the front facade.
Statement of Significance The John Harvey House, built in 1885, is significant because of the architectural grandeur and the status of the first owner. John Harvey and his family were instrumental in educating and feeding the city's poor children from the end of the Civil War into the early twentieth century. The establishment of Detroit's Industrial school and later the Sabbath Mission School did much to aid the city's indigent children.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1885
Registry Type(s) 04/05/1991 National Register listed
Site ID# P25137