Gethsemane Evangelical Lutheran Church, photo submitted 1976
Click above images to enlarge

Gethsemane Evangelical Lutheran Church
4461 Twenty-Eighth Street, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Motor City Baptist Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Gothic
Architect/Builder Spier and Rohns
Narrative Description The Gethsemane Lutheran Church is an end-gabled-roofed, frame, Victorian Gothic chapel with a central tower and vestibule in front. It is clad in its original, feather-edged, clapboard siding. The side elevations are identical. Each is composed of tall lancet-arched, stained-glass windows. The eaves are trimmed with widely spaced, shallow, curved, brackets and an arcaded, paneled frieze.
Statement of Significance The Gethsemane Evangelical Church is architecturally significant as a rare example of a wooden, High Victorian Gothic chapel by the well known architectural firm of Spier and Rohns. It is particularly notable for its unusual and well-preserved interior decorating. The Gethsemane Evangelical Church became defunct in 1976 and was bought by the Motor City Baptist Church in 1978.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1891
Registry Type(s) 04/22/1982 National Register listed
10/02/1980 State Register listed
Site ID# P25125