Fort Street Presbyterian Church, photo submitted 1971
Click above images to enlarge

Fort Street Presbyterian Church
631 West Fort Street, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Gothic Revival
Architect/Builder Octavius and Albert H. Jordan
Scott and Company
Narrative Description The Fort Street Presbyterian Church is a large, front-gable Gothic Revival inspired structure built of limestone ashlar with ornate architectural details. The building is seven bays along the sides, marked by stepped buttresses surmounted by finials. The entrance facade is dominated by a 230 foot tall square tower balanced by a shorter octagonal turret and features a triple gabled portal. The main tower is supported by stepped buttresses and is topped by an octagonal spire supported by flying buttresses topped by crocketed finials. The building features lacy stonework on the walls not broken by large lancet windows with exquisite wooden tracery.
Statement of Significance Fort Street Presbyterian Church is a fine example of Gothic Revival inspired architecture, despite multiple fires and rebuilding projects. The first building with the current design was dedicated in 1855 from plans by the Detroit firm of Octavius and Albert H. Jordan with James Anderson. Destroyed in 1876, the church was rebuilt in 1877 based on the original plans. An additional fire in 1914 destroyed the interior of the building and it was rebuilt in 1915. The original design of the church is still evident and in excellent condition.
Marker Name Fort Street Presbyterian Church
Marker Text FORT STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Second Presbyterian Church was organized in 1849 by the Reverend Robert K. Kellogg and twenty-six charter members. The present limestone building, dedicated in 1855, was designed by Octavius and Albert Jordan in [the] Gothic Revival style. Renamed in 1859 as Fort Street Presbyterian Church, it has survived two severe fires, in 1876 and 1914. Still substantially unchanged, it is one of Detroit's oldest churches.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1853-55
1876
Registry Type(s) 10/13/1975 Marker erected
09/03/1971 National Register listed
03/03/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P25116