Farwell Building, photo taken 1974
Click above images to enlarge

Farwell Building
1249-12591249 Griswold Street, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type commercial building
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Current Use VACANT/NOT IN USE
Style Chicago
Architect/Builder Harrie W. Bonnah
Narrative Description The Farwell Building is a rectangular, eight-story brick commercial building with Chicago School architectural elements. The entrance facade features seven bays of triple-pane windows with rectangular transoms, set deeply into an structural frame. Two beltcourses line the facade; a frieze decorated with triglyphs and metopes at the second story, and a paneled frieze at the entrance level. Two-story Ionic pilasters flank the central entrance and the corners of the building. Elaborate iron grillwork on the entrance transom and interior details emphasize the twentieth-century structural qualities of the building. The interior also features a Tiffany mosaic ceiling and marble walls.
Statement of Significance The Farwell Building is a fine example of early twentieth century commercial architecture. Named for the estate of Jesse H. and Emmer J. Farwell, the building was completed in 1915 from plans by Detroit architect Harrie W. Bonnah of the firm Bonnah & Chaffee. The Russel Wheel and Foundry Company of Detroit made the decorative and structural ironwork for the building. In 1956 the Farwell was significantly altered; the ornate terra cotta cornice with Pewabic tiles was bricked over and the ground level underwent significant changes. Higgins Management Company purchased the Farwell from the Detroit Historical Society during the 1970s and renovated the building for office space.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1915
Registry Type(s) 04/30/1976 National Register listed
07/26/1974 State Register listed
Site ID# P25092