The Coronado, photo submitted in 1983.
Click above images to enlarge

Coronado Apartments
3751-73 Second Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Property Type brick building
Historic Use DOMESTIC
Current Use DOMESTIC
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder GEORGE D. NUTT
Mortimer L. Smith and Son
Narrative Description The Coronado is a four-story-on-high-basement, yellow-brick-and-rusticated-sandstone, flat-roofed, Romanesque-style apartment house. It has architecturally designed elevations facing both Second and Selden avenues with common brick side and rear elevations of utilitarian design, without decorative facilities. The Second Avenue elevation is a long, flat-fronted composition that terminates in a curved bay window at the south end and a round turret at the north corner. Between these projections the symmetrical facade is articulated by three entrances, each surmounted on the upper floors by open loggias. The building is divided horizontally into two parts by the rusticated, brownstone-clad basement, first and second stories, and the yellow-brick-sheathed third, fourth and attic levels. The broad, wood-and-metal, bracketed cornice and the wide panelled brick frieze form a monumental cornice treatment that effectively caps the building. The frieze is pierced by numerous, small, square ventilation openings.
Statement of Significance The Coronado Apartments is architecturally significant as a well-preserved, Late-Victorian apartment building of imposing design displaying fine craftsmanship. The structure was built in 1894 by contractor George D. Nutt, a prominent Detroit builder. Apartment living was just becoming an acceptable residential alternative for the affluent middle class in the mid-1890s when structures such as the Coronado were being built. The Coronado remained a popular place of residence into the 1930s when the general cessation of construction in Detroit and the difficult economic circumstances of the time created a strong demand for small apartments. At this time, the Coronado's substantial units were divided into two smaller units. The decline of the Cass Corridor during the 1940s through the 1960s created an unfavorable climate for investment and spared the Coronado exterior alteration or interior remodeling. In 1982, the owners of the Coronado began a restoration and remodeling project to preserve and adaptively reuse the structure.
Period of Significance 1866-1900
Significant Date(s) 1894
Registry Type(s) 04/22/1982 National Register listed
10/02/1980 State Register listed
Site ID# P25055