Alexander Chene House, demolished 1991
Click above images to enlarge

Chene, Alexander, House (demolished 4/91)
2681Jefferson Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Little Harry's Restaurant
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE/restaurant
Style Federal
Significant Person Alexander Chene
Narrative Description The Alexander Chene House was demolished in 1991. It was a two-story, Federal-style house with applied Colonial Revival facade elements, added subsequently to the original construction. Originally rectangular in plan, the house was given a rear extension in the early twentieth century. Its facades were of red brick. The side walls rose above the roof forming fractables. A one-story, Roman-Doric porch projected from the center of the Jefferson Avenue facade. The windows had decorative, flat-top, iron lintels and a modest cornice molding spanned the facade. The house rested on a raised basement.
Statement of Significance The Chene House was significant as one of the few examples of the Federal style in Detroit, and was notable for its association with the Chene family, which was among the earliest in the Detroit vicinity. The house was built in the 1850s on land which had been granted to the Chene family by Louis XIV of France in 1707. Alexander Chene received ownership of the property from his grandfather, Gabriel Chene, in 1850. A later owner, Charles B. Warren, had the rear wing constructed between 1902 and 1914.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) c. 1855
Registry Type(s) 10/09/1985 National Register listed
01/17/1986 State Register listed
Site ID# P25047