Champlain Street Cemetery of Temple Beth El
3371 East Lafayette, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Beth El Cemetery
Property Type cemetery
Historic Use FUNERARY/cemetery
Marker Name Michigan's Oldest Jewish Cemetery
Marker Text MICHIGAN'S OLDEST JEWISH CEMETERY Beth El, the first Jewish congregation in Michigan, was organized in Detroit on September 22, 1850, by twelve families. This half-acre cemetery, dedicated on January 1, 1851, was known then as "The Champlain Street Cemetery of Temple Beth El" because Lafayette was formerly called Champlain Street. The first interment was in fall of 1851, and in 1854 Samuel Marcus, the first rabbi of Beth El, was buried here. The cemetery, containing many graves of Jewish war veterans, was in active use until the 1950s.
Period of Significance 1851-1950s
Significant Date(s) 1851
Registry Type(s) 04/16/1973 Marker erected
08/14/1962 State Register listed
Site ID# P25044