Joseph Campau House, photo 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Campau, Joseph, House
2910Jefferson Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names Joseph Campau House
Property Type frame house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Style Other
Significant Person Joseph Campau
Narrative Description The Joseph Campau House is a modest, two-story structure with walls covered in white-painted, flush board siding on the front facade and clapboard siding on all other facades. A single-story early twentieth-century porch spans the symmetrical, three-bay front facade, and decoration is limited to a pedimental window head and gable above the center window in the second story, and to a plain entablature board under the eaves on the sides of the house.
Statement of Significance The Campau House is architecturally significant as one of the oldest residential structures in Detroit, and its association with the Campau family is also noteworthy. The land on which the house stands was originally part of the Joseph Campau farm, a large tract of land awarded to Jean Louis Campau (Joseph Campau's grandfather) by the French government in 1734. By 1803 Joseph Campau was among Detroit's leading citizens and wealthiest landowners. The house was built approximately 1827 and is the second house to stand on the site. It is the only residence to be identified with Joseph Campau though he never lived in the house.
Period of Significance 1800-1900
Significant Date(s) 1835
Registry Type(s) 10/09/1985 National Register listed
Site ID# P25035