John N. Bagley House, photo 1983
Click above images to enlarge

Bagley, John N., House
2921 Jefferson Avenue, Detroit - Wayne County
Other Names John N. Bagley House
Property Type brick house
Historic Use DOMESTIC/single dwelling
Current Use EDUCATION/school
Style Romanesque
Architect/Builder Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge
Significant Person John N. Bagley
Narrative Description Built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the Bagley House is a two-and-one-half-story structure with a massive gable roof and facades of dark brick and brown stone. The chief architectural features include an engaged tower with conical roof; a round-arched entrance (with detailing carved by Detroit sculptor Julius Melchers); sharply pointed dormer with bay window; and a variety of facade-surface and window treatments.
Statement of Significance The John N. Bagley House is an outstanding example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture and is significant for its connection with the Bagley family. The house was built in 1889 for John N. Bagley, son of a former governor of Michigan. The Bagley family was responsible for some of Detroit's finest Romanesque Revival architecture, and most notably for its H. H. Richardson commissions. The Bagley House remains one of the finest of Detroit's Richardsonian Romanesque houses.
Period of Significance 1800-1899
Significant Date(s) 1889
Registry Type(s) 10/09/1985 National Register listed
Site ID# P25021