Click above images to enlarge

Commandant's Quarters, Dearborn Arsenal
21950 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn - Wayne County
Other Names Dearborn Historical Museum
Property Type military housing
Historic Use DEFENSE
Style Federal
Architect/Builder Jeremiah Moors
Narrative Description The Commandant's Quarters at the Dearborn Arsenal is a square, Federal style frame building standing on a raised brick foundation. Brick walls rise to a slate, hipped-roof that is broken by gabled dormers and surrounded by a balustrade. A two-story, square columned verandah wraps around the entrance and side facades of the building.
Statement of Significance The Commandant's Quarters is the last remaining of eleven structures at a strategically important military arsenal in Dearborn. Constructed between 1833 and 1837 along the banks of the Rouge River, the Commandant's Quarters was located along the important Detroit to Chicago road, a critical western settlement route. The Commandant's Quarters served as the social center of life at the complex and later served as a library, a town hall, and a newspaper office. Purchased by the Dearborn Historical Commission in 1949, the building was restored in 1959 and currently houses the Dearborn Historical Museum.
Marker Name Commandant's Quarters
Marker Text COMMANDANT'S QUARTERS This building was one of eleven built in 1833 for the United States Detroit Arsenal at Dearbornville. A walled compound, a 360-foot square, was erected to store military supplies on the frontier. Constructed of red brick in the Federal style, this arsenal was located on strategic Chicago Road, now Michigan Avenue. The quarters were a center for social and cultural events in Dearborn until they were closed in 1875. The Commandant's Quarters later became a fire station, police station, church, courthouse, school facility, library and meeting hall. The Dearborn Historical Commission acquired the building 1949 and opened it as the city's Historical Museum on October 14, 1950.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1833, 1875
Registry Type(s) 09/29/1975 Marker erected
10/15/1970 National Register listed
08/23/1956 State Register listed
Site ID# P25004