Welfare Building, photo submitted 1979
Click above images to enlarge

Welfare Building
300 North Main, Chelsea - Washtenaw County
Property Type brick building
Historic Use RECREATION AND CULTURE
Current Use EDUCATION/education-related
Style Postmedieval English
Marker Name The Welfare Building
Marker Text THE WELFARE BUILDING The Welfare Building was constructed in 1906 as a recreation facility for the workers of the Glazier Stove Company. It featured a swimming pool, a billiard hall, a basketball court, a theater and a reading room. Chelsea native Frank P. Glazier, who was the Michigan state treasurer from 1904 to 1908, founded the stove company in 1891. Because Chelsea, a predominantly rural community, lacked skilled labor, most of the company's workers commuted weekly via a special train from Detroit. In 1907, Glazier declared bankruptcy. The building was sold to the Lewis Spring & Axle Company, which manufactured the short-lived Hollier Eight automobile. Since 1960 the building has housed the Chelsea Standard.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) 1906
Registry Type(s) 04/07/1986 Marker erected
08/03/1979 State Register listed
Site ID# P24990