Glazier Memorial Building, photo taken 1980
Click above images to enlarge

Glazier, George P., Memorial Building
122 South Main Street, Chelsea - Washtenaw County
Other Names 14th District Court Building
Property Type stone building
Historic Use COMMERCE/TRADE/financial institution
Current Use GOVERNMENT
Style French Renaissance
Architect/Builder Claire Allen
Narrative Description The Glazier Memorial Building is a robust, trapezoidal, two-story, cut, rockfaced, native fieldstone structure of French Renaissance design. It has a red terra cotta tile, truncated, hip roof. Trimmed in Bedford limestone the exterior has a shallow, Ionic column portico sheltering the principal entrance and massive fieldstone piers at the front corners and along the one visible side wall with Ionic capitals supporting an entablature replete with substantial modillions beneath the cornice.
Statement of Significance The Glazier Memorial Building was built for Frank Glazier in honor of his father, George P. Glazier, and to house the Chelsea Savings Bank. George P. Glazier, in partnership with Michael J. Noyles, established what would become the Chelsea Savings Bank. After his death his son took over as president of the bank and had the Glazier Memorial building erected to house the bank. The Memorial Building was the work of Claire Allen.
Period of Significance 1901-1930
Significant Date(s) Built 1901-1902
Registry Type(s) 06/13/1986 State Register listed
Site ID# P24988