Dixboro United Methodist Church, photo taken 1969
Click above images to enlarge

Dixboro United Methodist Church
5221 Church Street, Dixboro - Washtenaw County
Other Names Dixboro Methodist Church
Property Type church
Historic Use RELIGION
Current Use RELIGION
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder ABRAHAM COOPER
E. W. FORD
Narrative Description The Dixboro United Methodist Church is a single-story, temple-style Greek Revival building on a T-plan composed of a front-gable main section flanked by two side-gable wings. The frame structure is covered with clapboard siding and is surmounted by a two-stage square cupola and belfry. A four-bay entrance facade is divided by Doric pilasters and is fronted by a pedimented portico with roofline cornice returns. Triple-hung sash windows flank the entrance and light the sides of the building.
Statement of Significance The Dixboro United Methodist Church is a well-preserved example of Greek Revival temple-style, professionally designed rural architecture. Designed by Abraham Cooper of Ypsilanti and constructed by E. W. Ford of Saline, the building was completed in 1858 at a cost of $2,500. Two educational wings were added in 1951 and the cupola was shortened, but no other exterior changes have been made to the building.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1858
Registry Type(s) 03/16/1972 National Register listed
10/01/1971 State Register listed
Site ID# P24981