Sharon Mills
5701 Sharon Hollow Road, Sharon - Washtenaw County
Property Type mill
Historic Use INDUSTRY/PROCESSING/EXTRACTION/manufacturing facility
Current Use COMMERCE/TRADE
Style Greek Revival
Architect/Builder Henry Ford
Significant Person Henry Ford
Narrative Description Sharon Mills is a rectangular plan two-and-one-half story gable roofed structure constructed of clapboard clad post and beam resting on an uncoursed split fieldstone foundation. A single story frame generator room extends over the mill race. A single story rectangular plan, gable roofed, fieldstone power house unit occurs at the rear of the mill. The mill reveals Greek Revival inspiration in its simple massing and stylistic elements. All the doors and windows occur beneath cut stone and keystone lintels, while frieze boards and returns were employed to blend with the primary mill building.
Statement of Significance A mill site since 1834, Sharon Hollow was purchased by Henry Ford in 1926 and rebuilt in 1939. The mill then became the thirteenth Ford Village Industries plant, an attempt by Ford to make an alternative to the assembly line production he was famous for. The plant closed soon after Ford's death and became an antique shop, a residence, and a wine tasting center. Sharon Mills is an excellent example of the type of building employed for milling. The significance of the building, however, stems from the association with Henry Ford and his active involvement in rural history.
Period of Significance 1931-1940
Significant Date(s) 1939
Registry Type(s) 11/16/1989 State Register listed
Site ID# P24979