Salem Methodist Episcopal Church and Salem-Walker Cemetery, photos submitted 1992 Salem Methodist Episcopal Church and Salem-Walker Cemetery, photos submitted 1992
Click above images to enlarge

Salem Methodist Episcopal Church and Salem Walker Cemetery
Angle Road at Tower Road, Salem - Washtenaw County
Other Names Salem Walker Church and Cemetery
Property Type cemetery
church
Historic Use RELIGION/religious facility
Current Use SOCIAL/meeting hall
Style Greek Revival
Narrative Description The former Salem Methodist Episcopal Church, a clapboarded, gable roof Greek Revival building with a simple, square plan, spireless belfry, has remained virtually unaltered since its 1864 construction. The Salem Walker Cemetery, surrounded by an ornamental iron fence dating from 1909, contains graves dating back to 1834.
Statement of Significance The Salem Methodist Episcopal Church is among the least altered Greek Revival churches in Michigan. The church was dedicated in 1864 with a congregation of 25 people and continued services until 1912. The Salem Walker Cemetery association, formed in 1908, contacted the Methodist conference in 1930 about purchasing the then-abandoned church. The Church was sold to the association for two hundred dollars in 1931. The building is used to generate maintenance money by renting the space for weddings and local gatherings.
Period of Significance 1826-1865
Significant Date(s) 1864
Registry Type(s) 08/18/1992 National Register listed
07/18/1991 State Register listed
Site ID# P24976